In July 2013, we began participating in a region wide AAA-collaborative that sought to reduce isolation and improve care to Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual and Transgender (LGBT) older adults in the Southeastern Michigan region by implementing a successful pilot project between LGBT service organizations and the Area Agencies on Aging 1-A, 1-B and 1-C.
With more baby boomers approaching senior age (65), we are making an effort to ensure that we are providing tools and resources necessary to advance the inclusion of LGBT older adults by providing them with resources to LGBT affirming providers.
While we remain committed to serving older adults with dignity, pride and respect we have compiled a list of resources to meet the specific needs of seniors who are or identify as LGBT.
- SAGE Metro Detroit Rainbow Resource Guide: A special index for LGBT older adults, service providers and allies that include LGBT-friendly businesses, organizations and service providers. This resource guide contains information about non-discrimination policies and trainings that will help LGBT consumers make informed decisions about which service provider or business to use.
- Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund (TLDEF): Provides legal representation to transgender persons who are experiencing discrimination throughout the United States. Also provides legal representation for transgender persons in need of a name change. For low-income transgender persons in need of a name changed living in Wayne, Oakland and Washtenaw Counties.
- The LGBT Older Adult Coalition: The LGBT Older Adult Coalition, which was founded in 2010 and transformed into the SAGE Metro Detroit affiliate upon creation. The mission of SAGE Metro Detroit is to build awareness and promote change so that LGBT older adults may age with dignity and authenticity.
- National Resource Center on LGBT Aging: The National Resource Center on LGBT Aging is the country's first and only technical assistance resource center aimed at improving the quality of services and supports offered to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender older adults.
- Affirmations: Affirmations is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization serving people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
- Transgender Older Adults & Medicare Fraud Prevention: SAGE (Services & Advocacy for GLBT Elders) and FORGE Transgender Aging Network developed this for transgender older adults as part of the Senior Medicare Patrol volunteer program. It provides information about specific issues related to Medicare fraud protection and the transgender community.
If you have been reluctant to call or if you know of a senior who is LGBT and is in need of assistance and/or resources, please contact our Information and Assistance specialists at (313) 446-4444 ext. 5607. They are trained to sensitively identify and assist you with your needs.
Hear how our agency serves lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender older adults from our former President & CEO, Paul Bridgewater Sponsored by the LGBT Older Adult Coalition, the ACLU with support from the HOPE Fund & The Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan.