Discover more about improving yourHealth and Wellness @ DAAA
Workshops and Activities
Matter of Balance
Matter of Balance (Falls Prevention) program that can help reduce the fear of falling and increase the activity levels of older adults who have concerns about falling.
The program is led by two trained facilitators and consists of 8 two-hour sessions over four weeks. Program participants must be able to walk to engage in this workshop.
- Control falls
- Set goals for increasing activity
- Make your home safer and avoid falls
- Improve balance, strength, and flexibility
Tai Chi for Arthritis for Fall Prevention
Older people are more likely to fall which can cause serious injury. The causes of falls include muscle weakness, poor balance, and vision, lacking mobility, and side effects of medication.
- The program is evidence-based and is recommended by the CDC for fall prevention
- Studies show Tai Chi is one of the most effective approaches for preventing falls
- It works by improving balance, confidence, and muscular strength
Tai Chi for Arthritis for Fall Prevention is available at the following Community Wellness Service Centers:
St. Patrick Senior Center
Detroit, MI 48201
Fridays, 9:00 – 10:00 a.m.
La Sed Senior Center
7150 W. Vernor Hwy.
Detroit, MI 48209
Thursdays, 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
Walk With Ease
Experience the Walk With Ease Program for Better Living
The Arthritis Foundation’s Walk With Ease Program is an exercise program that can help reduce pain and increase wellness. If you are able to walk for 10 minutes without increased pain, you can have success with Walk with Ease.
Classes are one hour each, three times per week, for six weeks. Space is limited. Sign up today!
The program will help you:
- Motivate yourself to be more active
- Walk comfortably with confidence
- Improve your flexibility, strength, and stamina
- Reduce general pain and increase wellness
Classes are ongoing at the following Community Wellness Service Centers:
Community Health and Wellness Programs – March 2023 through September 2023