Review Our LGBTQ+ Resources List
We strive to ensure that we are providing tools and resources to advance the support of LGBTQ+ older adults by providing resources to inclusive providers.
Resources to meet the specific needs of seniors who are or identify as LGBTQ+:
- MiGEN, formerly known as SAGE: A special index for LGBTQ+ older adults, service providers, and allies that include LGBTQ+-friendly businesses, organizations, and service providers. This resource guide contains information about non-discrimination policies and pieces of training that will help LGBTQ+ consumers make informed decisions about which service provider or business to use.
- Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund (TLDEF): Provides legal representation to transgender persons who are experiencing discrimination throughout the United States. Also provides legal representation for transgender persons in need of a name change. For low-income transgender persons in need of a name changed living in Wayne, Oakland, and Washtenaw Counties.
- The LGBT Older Adult Coalition: The LGBT Older Adult Coalition, which was founded in 2010 and transformed into MiGEN, formerly known as SAGE a Metro Detroit affiliate upon creation. The mission of MiGEN is to build awareness and promote change so that LGBTQ+ older adults may age with dignity and authenticity.
- National Resource Center on LGBT Aging: The National Resource Center on LGBT Aging is the country’s first and only technical assistance resource center aimed at improving the quality of services and supports offered to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender older adults.
- Affirmations: Affirmations is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization serving people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
- Transgender Older Adults & Medicare Fraud Prevention: MiGEN, formerly known as SAGE and FORGE Transgender Aging Network developed this for transgender older adults as part of the Senior Medicare Patrol volunteer program. It provides information about specific issues related to Medicare fraud protection and the transgender community.
If you or a senior you know is in need of assistance or resources, please contact one of our Information and Assistance Specialists at (313) 446-4444 ext. 5607. We will help identify your needs and assist you in finding solutions.