Celebrate National Nutrition Month with DAAA
March is the beginning of National Nutrition Month, an annual campaign focused on welcoming everyone to learn more about making healthy food choices and getting more active in our daily lives. This year’s theme for National Nutrition Month is, Celebrate a World of Flavors. We invite you to learn more about food from different cultures and try out some new recipes during this month.
Check out this page for weekly updates, tips, and recipes to help you stay focused on eating healthier and staying active. Detroit Area Agency on Aging will host a National Nutrition Month Extravaganza on Wed. March 30th, 12:00 -1:00 pm, so be sure to join us!
National Nutrtion Month Weekly Updates
Week 1: Eat a Variety of Nutritious Foods
- Include healthful foods from all food groups
- Learn how to read Nutrition Fact labels
- Incorporate your favorite foods and cultural traditions
Tip of the week: How A Good Nutritional Diet Can Help Build Your Immune System
Week 2: See a Registered Dietician Nutritionist (RDN)
- Ask your doctor for a referral to an RDN
- Find an RDN who specializes in your unique needs
- Receive personalized nutrition information to meet your health goals and cultural specific meal needs.
Tip of the Week: DAAA has Registered Dietician Nutritionist and health and wellness programs available to help eligible participants plan nutritional and health goals.
Recipe of the Week: Cucumber & Watermelon Salad
Week 3: Plan Your Meals & Snacks
- Choose healthful recipes to make during the week
- Use a grocery list to shop for nutritious food
- Make healthful food and drink choices when away from home
Recipe of the Week: Easy Collard Chips Recipe
Week 4: Create Tasty Foods at Home
- Learn cooking and meal preparation skills
- Try new foods and flavors from around the world
- Enjoy your meals with friends and family, when possible
Recipe of the week: Pasta Salad With Chicken and Vegetables
Join us at the finale event to celebrate!
Week 5: National Nutrition Month Extravaganza