4 Centers, 40+ Programs
Four neighborhood hubs – with over 40 different programs – are redefining adult health and wellness in Detroit.
- Take a dip in the pool during water aerobics at Neighborhood Services Organization.
- Namaste during yoga at St. Patrick Senior Center.
- Manage your concerns about falls in the A Matter of Balance workshop at People’s Community Services.
- Relax and socialize at the Services for Older Citizens’ Chit Chat and Color Club.
The organizations cited here are Community Wellness Service Centers with support from the Detroit Area Agency on Aging. Each wellness center provides its own mix of activities, nutrition services, community service navigation, and workshops, including evidence-based programs that help individuals manage chronic conditions such as arthritis and diabetes. Consider a visit to one or more of the centers to discover new ways of fostering wellness and social connection in your own life – or in the life of someone you know.
Every May we observe Older American’s Month (OAM). This year’s OAM theme, “Engage at Every Age,” emphasizes the importance of being active and involved, no matter where or when you are in life. We encourage you to use OAM 2018 to see how you and others can:
- Share your wisdom and experience with future generations.
- Enrich the community through volunteering, mentoring, learning, and leading.
- Participate in activities that can enrich your physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing.
Discover what it means to stay active and engaged at every age!