FY 2020-2022 REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Does this RFP apply to my agency or is my organization required to reapply if it is currently a DPOS (Fee for service) vendor?
This request for proposal is NOT for vendors supporting MI Choice / MI Health Link. The services provided through these grant funds are completely different from DPOS. These are grant funds for Specialized Services in Region 1-A to be funded through the Older Americans Act for Fiscal Years 2020 through 2022. These grants are covering the period March 1, 2019, to September 30, 2022. DPOS providers are not precluded from applying but these proposals follow a different set of guidelines and rules.
- Does my organization have to be registered with MDHHS CHAMPS system?
Enrollment into the MDHHS CHAMPS system is not a mandatory requirement, but implementing criminal background checks is a requirement.
- What verification of the monthly OIG/SAM checks will you find acceptable?
The links to the above sites were also provided on the prescreening checklist within the instructions. Please refer to FAQ question #4 as well.
- Does my organization have to do the mandatory monthly OIG and SAM checks on every employees and management team?
As a potential DAAA subcontractor, this is a mandatory requirement. If your agency is not currently doing this, they are expected to do so going forward in order to be considered for the grant and to remain compliant, if proposal is accepted.
Please note: Internet Explorer will not support the OIG and SAM websites. Copy and paste the website URLS into Firefox or Chrome.
Please refer to FAQ question #3 as well.
- Could you please give a list of services you are requesting for the hearing impaired?
Please refer to the AASA Operating Standards starting on page I-80 of the instructions.
- We are currently in the process of opening up a Home Health Care agency. Would the bid below require our services?
Please refer to the proposal instructions for requirements and services.
- Is stand alone, Fee-For Service, In-Home Respite Services being procured through the RFP FY2020-2022 posted on the DAAA Website?
No, this RFP is not a fee-for-service; this is part of a grant with a set funded amount and requirement as to units and clients to be served. Please refer to the AASA Operating Standards at the end of the instruction packet.
- Can you please assist me with the proposal application?
DAAA cannot provide individualized assistance. There is a scheduled technical assistance workshop; Please refer to the instructions for details.
- Will you post what materials you suggest we bring to the technical assistance?
There are no required documents to bring as this will be mainly Q&A on how to best complete the application. It will be helpful to have the entire application package to refer when asking questions.
- May I print the application and supporting documentation double-sided?
The application must be single sided printed. The supporting documentation may be printed using front and back printing.
- The narrative questions in the instructions are not fillable?
The narrative questions in the instructions packet are questions that should be addressed with the application as attachments C and D. A simple Yes and No answer are not sufficient. Reviewers need to review a narrative response.
- Is a separate section II required if applying for multiple services (Adult Day Service, Respite Care, etc.)?
Yes, there should be a section II for each service category you are applying for under the Specialized Service RFP. For example, if applying for ADC and Respite then the package should include 1 Section I and 2 Sections II (one for ADC and one for Respite). Please use the "Checklist for application submission" as a de facto table of content for the original packet then duplicates the packet 3 times.
Overall four (4) packets will need to be submitted - 1 original and 3 copies - (FYI - If you were planning to use color copies, please remember that, in the interest of cost saving, the copies can be black and white)
- Can I have Independent contractors versus employees (to implement the services)?
If direct service staff is treated as independent contractors, attach a determination from the IRS that this designation is appropriate and acceptable (Form SS-8). This documentation should be included as Attachment 4 at the end of the Section II: Program Information portion of the proposal. Refer to page Instruction for more details.
- Can you share a sample of the prescreening checklist - Attachment N?
The pre-screening checklist is part of the instructions (pages I-47 though I-49). Those pages can be printed and completed by hand.
- Should I submit the Instruction pages with the application?
No, the only documents from the instructions required to be submitted with the application package/binder are the pre-screening checklist and the checklist for application submission.
- Our organization does not have minutes of board meetings available for the last 3 meetings but we have minutes from meetings prior. Can we note that or submit minutes currently available?
Please submit the latest minutes available and note that subsequent meetings were held on such and such date but minutes are not available yet.
- Where in the binders should additional documents (i.e., Memorandums of Understanding, Letters of Support, etc.) be added? The required documents page does not indicate a specific attachment to file these items under. Is there a specific divider/tab where we should file these items?
All additional documents without a specific attachment number should be added at the end of the section they correlate with (Section I or II). For example, if the document relates to Section I, then it can be housed under miscellaneous at the end of that section (after attachment M).
- If you make the box YES for IRS Tax Exempt then the next question If yes, IRS code 501: ______________, do you want the (c) (3) section of the IRS code entered in this space or the FEIN?
IRS tax code 501(c)(3).
- Can the Audit and the Form 990 be double sided?
Yes. Only the documents in the application (original copy/binder) needs to be single sided, everything else can be double sided.
- Do the DAAA Cost per Client and Cost per Unit sections need to be completed on the Local Match and Other Resources pages?
Not a requirement as long as it is listed on the summary page.
- What does Line 11: DAAA percentage of Local Match 15% on the Local Match page of the budget refer to?
All new applicants must provide a 10% local match and existing providers must provide a 15% non-federal local match. This can be in-kind or monetary. Please refer to general budget information section of the instructions on how to complete. Please note that the budget already has a formula of the calculation (currently set for those required to have a 15% match)
- We have long-standing Letters of Commitment from organizations we have relationships with. Do these letters need to be updated for the purposes of this proposal?
The Letters of Commitment should highlight the role of the partner in the specific service you are applying for at this time. Long-standing Letters of Commitment are only acceptable if they specify how the organization will support the services being delivered in the proposal. Only submit documentation that is relevant to the services being applied for.
- Are the financial documents, both the Budget Summary and the Unit Cost Budget to be completed for a one year period or for the entire three year period of the grant?
This budget and unit cost budget is only for FY 2020. For this special RFP, the budget is from March to September. If awarded funding, budgets must be completed for each subsequent year.
- Are the policies on recruitment, training, and supervision on staff or clients? Do we need to attach a copy?
Copies are optional now but will be required of successful applicants.
- Is the affirmative action policy plan for the staff or clients?
- If an organization has independent contractors but has not yet received the IRS Determination Letter, which can supposedly take up to 6 months for the IRS to process, what should we include as attachment 4? Would our completed SS-8 form that we submit to the IRS be sufficient, even if it does not have the determination from the IRS listed? Would copies of our Independent Contractor agreements that the agency has signed with each contractor be sufficient?
Please provide what you have now, additional documentation would be required later. Also please refer to #13.
- Is the signed Business Associate Agreement required for the Specialized Services?
You are not required to submit the Business Associate Agreement at this time. This will be required of successful applicants.
- Checklist Section 1: Agency. Completed and signed Business Associate Agreement. I located the Business Associate Agreement (pg. I-37 to I-46). I don't see a space for signature. I only see an agency name and date. Is this the one you want us to use?
Please refer to question #27.
- My Agency is a Medicaid Private For-Profit agency and would like to make sure that we are completing the correct paperwork for what I believe my Agency offers. We offer Personal Care, Homemaking, Non-Medicaid Transportation and Chore Services. Is this the right process as we didn’t notice these services on the bid sheet?
Please refer to Question #1.
- What do you do if you didn't receive application until after the training date?
A legal notice was posted in the newspaper prior to the technical assistance workshop. Any subsequent notification was done as a courtesy reminder.
- Page I-48 of the Specialized Services RFP (in the Pre-screening checklist) notes to include a sample copy of Client Satisfaction Surveys and a Listing of In-Service Training. Where in the binder should we include these items? Just right behind the pre-screening checklist?
Yes, can be included behind the pre-screening checklist.
- Is the prescreening checklist available as a fillable .pdf?
No, please refer to question #14.
- Where is the prescreening checklist to be added to the final submission? Section 1 or 2? Attachment?
Prescreening checklist can be added as a standalone at the beginning of the binder.
- My organization is a new provider and has only worked as a subcontractor. Do we still need to fill out a budget section and, if so, what needs to be included?
The application must be completed in its entirety and as specified within the instructions. All required and requested documents must be submitted.
- How do I submit my application?
All application should be submitted in person at by 5:00pm EST, January 23, 2020. :
Detroit Area Agency on Aging
1333 Brewery Park Blvd.,
Suite 200 (Second Floor)
Detroit, MI 48207
- What is the correct number of vendors being sought for each service?
It varies, based on need. In the DAAA network, our goal is the have at least four providers for Adult Day Services, Targeted Outreach and Assistance and Respite Care and one Assistance to the Hearing Impaired and Deaf provider.
- Will the award funds be prorated to reflect the shorten contract durations?
The award funds will not prorated during fiscal year 2020.
- Where do the referrals for services originate?
There is no built-in referral system. It is based on each provider using their existing client base and growing their clients as funds allow. Occasionally, calls may come in for services through our Information & Assistance Department, and the client will directed DAAA’s provider network.
- How are the grants funds distributed?
Per month, based on financial status reports that show what was spent for the month, reimbursement is based on actual expenditures.
- What are the procedures and requirements for new facilities?
Requirements for new facilities are based on the licensure requirements set by the State of Michigan. For more information, please visit Michigan.gov.
- Does the DAAA provide assistance in completing the application process?
No, applications must be completed independently of DAAA.
- I have started filling application out but i noticed that my area wasn't listed for funding to the elderly. My facility is located in Dearborn Michigan. Do my city qualify for this application thats [sic] due Jan 23rd for specialized services? I am in Wayne County. If not can you tell me what Area Agency I should be associated with.
Funding is intended for DAAA-1A service area residents. Your office may be located outside of the service area as long as you provide services within Detroit, Harper Woods, Hamtramck, Highland Park and the five Grosse Pointes.
- Can the Targeted Outreach and Assistance be offered to African Americans as well as the populations listed in the RFP (Arab Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanic/Latinos and Native Americans)?
Applicants applying for Outreach and Assistance should use the Aging and Adult Service Agency’s Minimum Standard for Outreach which appears in the RFP Appendix (page XII) and ignore the targeting information on page I-6 of the RFP document. Under the FY 2020 – FY 2022 Multi-Year Plan, DAAA elected to no longer fund Outreach and Assistance and to use AASA’s Outreach Standard. This minimum standard defines Outreach as the following:
Efforts to identify and contact isolated older persons and/or older persons in greatest social and economic need who may have service needs and assisting them in gaining access to appropriate services. Outreach does not include comprehensive assessment of need, development of a service plan, or arranging for service provision.
Therefore, applicants should demonstrate how they will reach isolated older persons and/or older persons in greatest social and economic need who may have service needs. This could include specific strategies for targeting certain populations, but should not exclude other isolated older adults and those with greatest social and economic need.
- Can efforts to outreach to and identify isolated older persons be billed per the unit cost for the Targeted Outreach and Assistance services, or is the funding strictly for the actual time spent providing assistance to the older person determining unmet needs, helping to access services, and follow-up?
Funding includes efforts to identify, contact and provide assistance not exclusively providing assistance. For further explanation, please see pages I-6 and XII.
- Is local match a requirement for Respite Services?
Local match and program income are financial requirements that must be met for all services.