Who We Are
Established in 1980, the Detroit Area Agency on Aging (DAAA) is a nonprofit agency that serves older adults, adults with disabilities and caregivers residing in Detroit, the five Grosse Pointes, Hamtramck, Harper Woods and Highland Park. We are one of 16 Area Agencies on Aging in the state of Michigan and 622 in the nation.
To educate, advocate and promote healthy aging to enable people to make choices about home and community-based services and long-term care that will improve their quality of life.
What We Do
We assist older adults, adults with disabilities and caregivers by removing social, economic, physical and psychological barriers and creating aging friendly neighborhoods through nutrition, health and wellness and senior independence. Our programs and services include:
- Information and Assistance call center to help find local resources
- Nutrition Services hot, frozen or liquid nutrition for homebound seniors and adults with disabilities
- Health & Wellness workshops to help improve fitness, reduce falls, control and monitor diabetes, and manage chronic diseases and heart disease
- Clinical Services home care support
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman assistance and advocacy for long-term care facility residents
- Medicaid-Medicare Assistance Program (MMAP) free health insurance counseling for Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries and their families or caregivers
- Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) on-the-job training for seniors who are 55 years or older
- Community Wellness Service Center community-based educational opportunities that promote healthy aging lifestyles
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Committee (GRGC) a collaboration of agencies working to support grandparents and kinship caregivers
- Advocacy to help make sure seniors’ voices are heard